Yoga Principle 1: Practice Peace
Surround yourself with love and kindness. Be gentle and peaceful in your thoughts and actions. Be respectful. Show kindness. Do not harm anyone or anything. Practice tolerance.
Avoid: mean or malicious thoughts or actions, ignorance, restlessness, swearing / cussing, selfishness, closed-mindedness (fear resulting from misunderstanding or intolerance breeds anger and hatred), violence
Practice: openness, compassion, love, understanding, patience, self-love
Example #1: Instead of wishing the school bully would be hurt, send him compassion in your thoughts
and actions and watch what happens!
Example #2: You listen to your body as you practice yoga poses. If something hurts, you treat yourself
with kindness and respect by backing off and going only so far as is comfortable and healthy for your
own body, regardless of what everyone else is doing.
• The Peace Book, by Todd Parr
• Hey, Little Ant, by Phillip M. Hoose, Hannah Hoose, and Debbie Tilley
• The Colors of Us, by Karen Katz
• Unstoppable Me!, by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer, Kristina Tracy, and Stacy Heller Budnick
• Zen Shorts, by John J. Muth
• Each Kindness, by Jacqueline Woodson and E.B. Lewis
Healthier, Happier, More Resilient Children(F+W/Adams Media, 2013) by Lisa Flynn, E-RYT,